This is a decision that only the treating doctor can make. However, we can give you a number of factors. These allow to increase the chances of being suitable:
1. Healthy Eyes
• No Infection
• No Cataracts or Glaucoma
• No chronically dry eyes
• Or another condition that would hinder the healing process after your laser eye operation.
2. You must be at the minimum 18 years old (for some procedures 21 years), the maximum age should be 60 years.
3. No Allergies, no auto immune disease. In these cases a detailed consultation is necessary because these allergies or auto immune diseases can reduce the chances of recovery.
4. Constant refractive numbers – at least in the last year.
5. Your short-sightedness should not be less than minus 0,75 or more than minus 14 Dioptrics
6. Long-sightedness up to +7 Dioptrics
7. For Pregnant women or breastfeeding women, hormone levels can affect the eye shape, so you should wait until a normal hormone level has been reached. During a pregnancy an operation is not possible.
8. Astigmatism not more than +6 or less than -6 Dioptrics
There are general risks, just as there are with every operation. The FDA recognizes both the LASIK and PRK as a proven safe and effective technique. The surgeon can turn off the laser at any time.
LASIK and PRK are performed with an Excimer laser. This type of laser eye surgery produces a cold beam of light which vaporizes the cellular tissue of the cornea and thus corrects the cornea.
The previous procedure was carried out by the operating doctor without the help of a laser. Here, a ring-shaped incision was made in the cornea. However, this procedure has never been recognized by the FDA.
Nowadays, the corneal layer is now cut by a laser. This guarantees a precise cut and better healing tendencies, with less risks and side effects.
With the Lasik treatment, before the use of the Excimer laser, the doctor obtains direct access to the lower corneal tissue. This is achieved by a laser, which has replaced the previous cutting tool, the Microkeratoma. This laser is used only for a Afterwards the corneal flap is folded back. Now the doctor has access to the lower corneal tissue.
With PRK, the corneal surface is gently roughened and eventually completely removed or replaced. This is necessary in order to be able to make the proper correction in the deeper layers of the cornea. Subsequently, a protective lens is set for five days over the cornea. You need to wear the protective lens for as long as you require it, until the surface of the cornea has healed or regenerated itself. After 5 days, these protective lenses can be removed by your local Opthalmologist.
Just three days after laser eye treatment you may go back to work. Remember that the feelings of each person are different, so you should pay attention to whether you are really well again and whether you still feel good when you resume your activity. The experience in the past tells us that most people can go back to normal working days after 1-2 days.
However, if you have a job which exposes you to dust or fumes e.g. from paints, we recommend that you take at least 1 week off work or wear goggles which have a tight seal.
Dry eyes can occur, but can be treated with eye drops quickly and easily. Furthermore, it is possible for a few hours after the laser eye treatment, to experience a somewhat blurred image (such as after wearing incorrect glasses). After a short time it disappears by itself.
If you notice, however, side effects that are not described above, or perhaps they last longer, do not hesitate to inform us or your treating ophthalmologist.
The duration of the laser treatment depends on the size of the correction in the cornea. These correction requirement results are taken from the previous findings. The laser treatment lasts between 15-40 seconds according to your individual needs. Altogether the treatment lasts about 4 minutes per eye. Following this, a recovery period of about 30 minutes is required. Then you can leave the laser eye clinic again.
You will receive eye drops which numb the eye. After treatment and after the anesthetic has worn off, you may feel a slight foreign body sensation. Furthermore, your eyes may be sensitive to sunlight, so we strongly recommend that you bring sunglasses. This surgery causes very little irritation.
Furthermore, on the operation day you can experience watery eyes, the same as when one “cuts an onion“.
This has been examined in long-term studies. The results show that the treatment results are permanent. However, this does not mean that you are excluded from Presbyopia, which is caused by the natural course of ageing. This disease affects older people, with healthy or short-sighted eyes and is completely independent of laser eye treatment, as well as other eye diseases such as cataracts.
In the USA, there were more than 960,000 people who had laser eye surgery in 1999. In 2003 this figure had already risen to 3,000,000 people.
SUPRACOR is used to treat the eyes against presbyopia. This method is not performed in the Medistate Health Group.
The clinics that we recommend to you all have the newest technology. The machines have an eye tracker Sytem so that the laser device tracks your pupil and stops immediately with any evasive movement.
For your treatment in Istanbul no referral from your ophthalmologist is required. However, you are welcome to seek advice before surgery with your ophthalmologist.
The Medibeauty Clinic uses all the latest technology that exists in the market for laser eye surgery such as the Vistar, Zeiss technology and WaveLight technology. After a detailed preliminary examination, the most suitable method for you is determined.
Yes, you pay in Istanbul. However, you can also choose between cash payments, payment by debit card, or even credit card (e.g. Visa or Mastercard). Please note that with card payments additional fees may be added when using the card abroad. Please also note that credit cards usually have a limit on how much you can draw out per day. Please discuss this with your bank beforehand.
• Your eyes will be sensitive to light directly after surgery. Therefore we recommend that you take a pair of sunglasses with very good UV protection.
• Please avoid driving on the same day, working and dusty environments and do not touch or rub the eyes at all.
• Do not wear soft contact lenses for ten days before the preliminary examination.
For hard contact lenses this period is three weeks!
• Three days before / after surgery no eye makeup should be applied!
• Please check the validity of your identity card / passport before you travel!
If you are an amateur athlete, you can refer to the following guidelines:
• After 1 day: work, jogging, walking, tennis, golf, flying, fitness & aerobics and going skiing wearing goggles and biking
• After 1 week: surfing, sun bed and sauna
• After 2 weeks: swimming in public baths
• After 4 weeks: Scuba Diving