It is essential for patients traveling from abroad to be aware of the legal details!
Here, you should be careful that your agency’s legal registration is based in Germany and not abroad; so that you can be sure that the organizational problems and liability are covered under German law.
Important for Laser Eye and the Clinics
- Always get more detailed information, as there are many things you should be aware of with laser eye surgery.
- Also, check the services of the mediator as well as the clinics.
- Make sure that you receive a 24hr emergency service. One night’s stay in the clinic is vital!
- For an overnight stay in a hotel: Check the hotel’s proximity to the clinic – if you have just received a laser operation or have an emergency, you won’t want to take a taxi across the town to your hotel.
Important for Hair Transplantations and the Clinics
- The treatment should only be in a TÜV approved clinic with a special hair transplant surgery room. Many providers promise a private clinic, but in this case, the OP is often carried out in a doctor’s office – instead of taking place in an operating theatre!
- For hygienic reasons, you should search a private clinic/hospital exclusively with TÜV (Rheinland or Nord) checks. An ISO certificate is only essential for the office organization!
- Look for treatments that are performed by a plastic surgeon and hair transplant team! Many companies only offer treatments with a technician! The plastic surgeon should be there the whole time during your treatment. Can the clinic show their doctors certificates! If the clinic cannot prove their doctors’ qualifications (e.g., on the website or in a personal consultation), this probably means that their personnel changes too much. Be careful in this case!
- In the clinic, you should be under medical supervision for 24 hours after hair transplantation!
- After a hair transplant, you should stay overnight in the clinic because of the risk of infection! The first 24 hours are crucial for the newly transplanted grafts.
- The plastic surgeon should never extract more than 4000 grafts in an FUE session. If a doctor promises you more grafts, be careful.
- Ensure that a preliminary examination with the hair analysis and blood level monitoring takes place, you receive a suitable shampoo in your follow-up examination, and the instructions for washing your hair are explained well.
- Please do not pay any money in advance (also no deposit)! This is probably the provision for the company which you are booking with. If you cancel on location in Istanbul last minute (e.g., because the clinic is not the same as advertised online) and do not want to do the operation, you won’t receive your deposit back.
Important for Plastic Surgery and the Clinics
- The operations should only take place in a clinic/hospital with an operating room. Many providers promise a private clinic, but in this case, the OP is often carried out in a doctor’s office – instead of taking place in an operating theatre!
- In the clinic, you should be under medical supervision for 24 hours! The treatment should only be in a TÜV approved clinic/hospital with an emergency area, intensive care unit, and operating room. You should stay in the hospital after an operation.
- With implants, make sure that they are from trusted brands and well-known manufacturers!
- Beware that the preliminary examinations are carried out and that the equipment such as splints or bandages is included.
- Make sure that the doctor carries out your wishes – and that they educate you! Good advice does not always mean that the doctor performs all of your wishes, but they stipulate your desired procedure’s advantages and disadvantages.
- Pay attention to the qualifications of the doctors/surgeons who are performing the OP! Many intermediaries offer treatments only with regular doctors who have not completed a degree in plastic surgery! These are GPs, who only have studied medicine and therefore lack the qualifications for plastic surgery. Check their certificates to find out the qualifications of the doctors. Please be very careful!
Essential for All Operations
- If you suffer from a chronic disease, check with your doctor whether you can undergo an operation. For every doctor, pre-existing conditions or current diseases are important, also for the plastic surgeons. Provide them with a copy of your medical history from your GP!
- If you are taking medication, please inform the attending surgeon!
- If the clinic cannot prove their doctors’ qualifications (e.g., on the website or in a personal consultation), this probably means that their personnel changes too much. Be careful in this case!