Beware of health tourism
It is very important for health tourists e.g. patients travelling from abroad to be aware of the legal details!
Here, you should be careful that your agency’s legal registration – is based in Germany and not abroad; so that you can be sure, that the organisational problems and / or liability are covered under German law.
Important for laser eye and the clinics:
- Always get more detailed information, as there are many things that you should be aware of with a laser eye surgery.
- Always get more detailed information, as there are many things that you should be aware of with a laser eye surgery
- Also check the services of the mediator as well as the clinics
- Make sure that you receive a 24hr emergency service. One nights stay in the clinic is very important!
- For overnight stay in a hotel: Check the hotel’s proximity to the clinic – if you have just received a laser operation or have an emergency, you won’t want to take a taxi across the town to your hotel.
Important for hair transplantations and the clinics:
- The treatment should only be in a TÜV approved clinic with a special hair transplant surgery room. Many providers promise a private clinic, but in this case the OP is often carried out in a doctor’s office – instead of taking place in an operating theatre!
- For hygienic reasons, you should search a private clinic / hospital exclusively with TÜV (Rheinland or Nord) checks. An ISO certificate is only important for the office organisation!
- Look for treatments that are performed by a plastic surgeon and hair transplant team! Many companies only offer treatments with a technician! The plastic surgeon should be there the whole time during your treatment. Can the clinic show their doctors certificates! If the clinic cannot prove their doctors qualifications (e.g. on the website or in a personal consultation) then this probably means that their personnel change too much, be careful in this case!
- In the clinic, after a hair transplantation you should be under medical supervision for 24 hours!
After a hair transplant because of the risk of infection you should stay overnight in the clinic! The first 24 hours are very important for the newly transplanted grafts.
- The plastic surgeon should never extract more than 4000 grafts in a FUE session. If a doctor promises you more grafts be careful.
- Ensure that a preliminary examination with hair analysis and blood level monitoring takes place, and that you receive a suitable shampoo in your follow-up examination and that the instructions for washing your hair are explained well.
- Please do not pay any money in advance (also no deposit)! This is probably the provision for the company which you are booking with. If you cancel on location in Istanbul last minute (e.g. because the clinic is not the same as advertised online) and you do not want to do the operation, you won’t receive your deposit back.
Important for plastic surgery and the clinics:
- The operations should only take place in a clinic / hospital with an operating room.
Many providers promise a private clinic, but in this case the OP is often carried out in a doctor’s office – instead of taking place in an operating theatre!
- In the clinic you should be under medical supervision for 24 hours! The treatment should only be in a TÜV approved clinic / hospital with an emergency area, intensive care unit and operating room.
You should stay in the hospital after an operation!
- With implants, make sure that they are from good brands and well-known manufacturers!
- Beware that the preliminary examinations are carried out and that the equipment such as splints or bandages are included.
- Make sure that the doctor carries out your wishes – and that they advise you! Good advice does not always mean that the doctor performs all of your wishes, but that they stipulate the advantages and disadvantages for your desired procedure.
- Pay attention to the qualifications of the doctors / surgeons who are performing the OP! Many intermediaries offer treatments only with normal doctors who have not completed a degree in plastic surgery! These are GPs, who only have medical studies and therefore lack the qualifications for plastic surgery. Check their certificates to find out the qualifications of the doctors! Please be very careful!
Important for all operations:
- If you suffer from a chronic disease, check with your doctor whether you can undergo an operation. For every doctor, pre-existing conditions or current diseases are important, also for the plastic surgeons. Provide them with a copy of your medical history from your GP!
- If you are taking medication, please inform the attending surgeon!
- If the clinic cannot prove their doctors qualifications (e.g. on the website or in a personal consultation) then this probably means that their personnel change too much, be careful in this case!